April 17, 2007

Writers abound.




These are a fun little joke newspaper that Henry Fontaine Burdon - a pastor, put together. He was Ruth McGown's father. This side of the family certainly seems to be filled with writers of all sorts. Henry did this fun little paper, his daughter Ruth, and her husband, Russel (also a minister) did numerous fun little Christmas cards. Russel's mother - Abbie Orodell Grimes, and her sister Lucy, put together a number of little "magazines", and their great-grandfather, Robert Dinsmoor, was a published poet, known as "The Rustic Bard".
Ruth and Russel had a daughter, Dorothy (my Grandmother), who worked for a number of years in the newspaper business, and one of her daughters (my mother), wrote little newspapers as a kid. Then, of course, there's me at the end of this line, and I like to consider myself a writer of some kind. No wonder why, looking at the history of writers in my family!
This is a clipping from a newspaper article about H.F. Burdon's resignation from his post at a church. Look for more to come soon -- I want to get into some of the handwritten stuff, but I want to make sure that I get a chance to try and transcribe them a bit (and get my history that goes along with them straight!)

No comments: